Framingham State University Police Department
McCarthy Center (Access off Church Street)
100 State Street
P.O. Box 9101
Framingham, MA 01701-9101
The Framingham State University Police Department has a fully trained sexual assault unit staffed with certified sexual assault/rape investigators. We work closely with the Middlesex County District Attorney's Office, the Framingham Police Department's sexual assault unit and various other departments within the University. Our investigators are on call 24 hours a day throughout the year and will assist victims throughout the entire criminal proceeding, and through the University judicial discipline system. If you feel you have been the victim of a sexual assault you may contact us at 508-626-4911. All reports are kept confidential.
Sexual Assaults - The Facts:
- Sexual Assault is any unwanted sexual contact where there is a lack of consent and the threat of actual use of force.
- 1 in 3 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.
- 1 in 4 college women will be victims of rape or attempted rape during their university years.
- More than 60% of rape victims know their attackers.
- The FBI estimates that only 1 in 10 rapes are reported to police.
- Be alert. Try not to act as though you're daydreaming or not paying attention.
- Walk with confidence, show you are in control
- Be aware of your surroundings, know where you are, and who's around you.
- Be assertive, don't let anyone violate your personal space.
- Trust your instincts; if you feel uncomfortable get out!
- Don't let alcohol or drugs cloud your judgment.
What to do if your sexually assaulted:
- Go to a safe place and tell someone you trust what happened.
- It's your choice to contact police. Remember that action against a rapist can prevent others from becoming a victim.
- Save every article of clothing worn during the assault without laundering it. Don't shower, bathe, or douche.
- Seek medical attention. Go to the hospital for treatment of injuries, prevention of STD's and emotional counseling.
- Seek counseling and friends to help you in the aftermath, remember its not your fault
- Framingham State University Police Department's Sexual Assault Unit: (508) 626-4911.
- Framingham State University Health Services: (508) 626-4900.
- Framingham State University Counseling Center: (508) 626-4640
- Voices Against Violence Hotline: 1-800-593-1125
- Metro West Helpline: (508) 620-2347.
- Framingham Police: (508) 872-1212.
Rape! It Can Happen! What You Need To Know!
If you would like further information or you would like to sponsor a sexual assault training program through our crime prevention unit contact Sergeant Karen Nicholas at (508) 626-4911 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.