The Certificate in Professional Speech Communication is designed for individuals who are interested in developing their communication skills with the courses necessary to succeed in any workplace environment. Given the changing landscape of professional communication in the 21st century, this certificate addresses the need for a better focus on oral communication. Effective face-to-face interactions are integral to employee performance, even in this digital age. Since computer technologies and social media are now critical components of an ever-increasing multicultural workplace, it is important to assure the salience of intercultural sensitivity, interpersonal proficiency, group dipolmacy, and presentation competence. This certificate program will give students a solid foundation of speech communication skills appropriate for most careeres.
Candidates for the Certificate in Professional Speech Communication must have a high school degree or GED. Certificate courses must be completed with an overall average of C or better. One course of the five courses may be accepted as transfer towards the Certificate in Professional Speech Communication.
Students will be able to:
- Control nervousness and anxiety when speaking to others.
- Recognize and accurately interpret nonverbal cues in professional environments,including facial expressions, eye contact, vocal characteristics, and gestures.
- Participate confidently in meetings, discussions, and presentations.
- Listen more actively and give feedback in an effective verbal manner.
- Verbally articulate their ideas or arguments interpersonally.
- Integrate social media with face-to-face interactions.
- Communicate interest in a topic and adapt communication style to audiences.
- Articulate ideas promptly and coherently when called upon.
- Organize ideas on the spot and speak with correct grammar in a clear voice.
- Assess the communication appropriate to a particular cultural group.
- Problem solve and negotiate conflict resolutions interpersonally and in a team environment.
Curriculum Requirements (5)
COMM 107 Effective Speaking
COMM 205 Small Group Communication
COMM 207 Interpersonal Dialogue
COMM 230 Organizational Communication
COMM 234 Intercultural Communication
For further information about the Undergraduate Certificate in Professional Speech Communications please contact the program Coordinator & Advisor, Dr. Audrey E. Kali at email@example.com
1. Requirements are accurate to date. However, the University reserves the right to change requirements in the future, and will notify applicants should any changes be made.