- FSU may only endorse candidates who have completed an approved licensure program. For Initial licenses, the approved program includes completing the associated practicum with FSU.
- FSU may only issue the SEI Endorsement for candidates who have completed an approved licensure program as well as the TESL 910 Sheltered English Immersion.
Candidates who hold an Initial or Professional license in another field have two options for adding an Initial license in Moderate Disabilities, Curriculum and Instructional Technology, and Teacher of English as a Second Language. The options are:
- Complete the entire approved program as described above (both the degree and the practicum). Framingham State University will endorse the candidate's application for the license, if requested.
- Apply directly to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, without the practicum and without the FSU endorsement, after completing the master's degree program.
NOTE: ESL and Moderate Disabilities licenses require an internship in
place of the practicum. The DESE internship template is available at http://www.doe.mass.edu/educators/InternshipLetter.pdf.
Applying for Your License
- Complete the Endorsement Request Form. Return the form to the Office of Graduate Studies in Dwight 204.
Please make sure you include a copy of your Preliminary or Initial license with your Endorsement Request form if you already hold another license.
Order an official copy of your transcript from Framingham State University. On the request form, indicate you want the transcript sent after you've completed your degree. The transcript should be sent to:
Education Placement and Licensure Office
Dwight Hall 302
Framingham State University
100 State Street
Framingham, MA 01701
We will submit your transcript to MA DESE on your behalf during the endorsement process.
- Go to the Licensure area at the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE)'s web site. If you do not already have an ELAR profile, Click on the ELAR icon and establish an ELAR Profile for yourself. Select the Create ELAR Profile link at the bottom left hand corner of the login box to get started.
- Once your ELAR account is established, log on to your profile area and select the option to Advance to the next level license. Follow the prompts to update your education information. Then, use the following to apply for your Professional license:
Field: Academic Teacher
Select Field: <see table below>
Level: <see table below>
License Select Field Level Instructional Technology Specialist Instructional Technology All English as a Second Language 1-6 ESL 1-6 English as a Second Language 5-12 ESL 5-12 Moderate Disabilities PreK-8 Moderate Disabilities PreK-8 Moderate Disabilities 5-12 Moderate Disabilities 5-12
- When asked which route you are following, select the option that indicates you have completed an approved master's degree program. Complete the remaining screens to apply for your license.
- Candidates completing approved programs after July 1, 2014, must earn the Sheltered English Immersion Endorsement. If you completed TESL 910 Sheltered English Immersion, FSU will provide the endorsement. Please apply for the SEI endorsement. This is separate from applying for a license. If you did not complete TESL 910, you must earn the endorsement through your district of employment, by passing the SEI MTEL, or by earning the ESL license.
- If you've had a name change (e.g. marriage, divorce, other legal proceeding) while in (or after) your licensure program, you must submit a name change form with appropriate documentation of the name change to the ESE. The form is available in two formats below.
Name Change Form (PDF document)