The list below will guide you through the steps you need to follow to apply for your license. Please make sure you complete all steps in the list. This will help ensure timely processing of your licensure application.
- Complete the Endorsement Request Form. If you are currently student teaching, you will receive this form during your licensure workshop. If you've already completed student teaching, follow the instructions on the form linked below for returning it.
Endorsement Request Form (PDF format)
- Order an official copy of your transcript from Framingham State University. On the request form, indicate you want the transcript sent after you've completed your degree. The transcript should be sent to:
Education Placement and Licensure Office
Dwight Hall 302
Framingham State University
100 State Street
Framingham, MA 01701
- Go to the Licensure area at the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's web site. Click on the ELAR icon and establish an ELAR Profile for yourself if you don't already have one. Select the Create ELAR Profile link at the bottom left hand corner of the login box to get started.
- Once your ELAR account is established, log on to your profile area and select the option to Apply for a new license. Follow the prompts to add your education information. Then, use the following to apply for your specific license:
Field: Academic TeacherSelect Field: <see table below>Level: <see table below>Type: Initial
License Select Field Level Early Childhood PreK-2 Early Childhood PreK-2 Elementary 1-6 Elementary 1-6 Biology 5-8 Biology 5-8 Biology 8-12 Biology 8-12 Chemistry 8-12 Chemistry 8-12 Earth Science 5-8 Earth Science 5-8 English 5-8 English 5-8 English 8-12 English 8-12 French 5-12 French 5-12 History 5-8 History 5-8 History 8-12 History 8-12 Spanish 5-12 Spanish 5-12 Mathematics 5-8 Mathematics 5-8 Mathematics 8-12 Mathematics 8-12 Visual Art PreK-8 Visual Art PreK-8 Visual Art 5-12 Visual Art 5-12
When asked which route you are following, select the option that indicates you've completed an approved baccalaureate (undergraduate) program. Complete the remaining screens to apply for your license.
- Candidates completing approved programs after July 1, 2014, must apply for the Sheltered English Immersion Endorsement.
- If you've had a name change (e.g. marriage, divorce, other legal proceeding) while in (or after) your licensure program, you must submit a name change form with appropriate documentation of the name change. Name Change Form (PDF document)