Goals for the English Major
Department faculty have developed a set of goals for students who graduate with a degree in English from Framingham State College: Graduates of the English major will be able to
- Demonstrate an aesthetic appreciation of language and literature.
- Interpret a range of texts in American, British, and world literature, providing those texts with appropriate historical and cultural contexts.
- Demonstrate advanced analytical reading skills.
- Understand a variety of critical theories, approaches, and methodologies and apply them to the interpretation of texts.
- Demonstrate substantial communication skills, including the ability to write lucid prose for specific rhetorical situations.
- Demonstrate advanced ability to conduct and use academic research, from locating and evaluating print and electronic sources to integrating research materials into substantial critical essays.