The degree requires successful completion of the following ten (10) courses. A written comprehensive examination is required as the student’s culminating experience. The exam is taken during the student’s final semester of study or shortly thereafter.
|Education Core Courses (3)|
|EDUC 991||Philosophy of Education and Teaching Practice|
|EDUC 998||Language Development and Communication|
|EDUC 999||Research and Evaluation (recommended after completion
of three Content or Concentration courses)
|Concentration Courses (7)|
|TESL 901||Language Structure: Phonetics and Morphology|
|TESL 902||Language Structure: Syntax, Semantics, and Pragmatics|
|TESL 913||Current Issues in Second Language Acquisition|
|TESL 936||The Teaching of Second Language Skills|
|TESL 948||Teaching Reading and Writing in the English Immersion
|TESL 966||Seminar in Applied Linguistics|
Initial Teacher License Requirements
In addition to the above ten courses, students seeking an Initial Teacher License in English as a Second Language will need the following:
- A passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills Tests of the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure (MTEL).
- A passing score on the ESL Subject Matter Test of the MTEL.
- * TESL 980 Practicum in the Teaching of English as a Second Language and Seminar: Grades PreK-6 OR
* TESL 981 Practicum in the Teaching of English as a Second Language and Seminar: Grades 5-12.
The 300-hour practicum requires written permission of the program advisor and Dean at least three (2) months prior to registering for the practicum. Students must locate their own practicum site, which must be approved by the University.
* Teachers who seek to add the ESL License at the grade level for which they already hold a teacher license must complete a 150-hour practicum.
Coordinator and Advisor: Dr. Marguerite Mahler, World Languages
- Requirements are accurate to date. However, the University reserves the right to change requirements in the future, and will notify applicants should any changes be made.
- Refer to appropriate catalog for Degree Requirements for prior years.