Liberal Studies Mission Statement
The mission of the Liberal Studies program is to help students appreciate the common intellectual ground bridging separate academic disciplines. The Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Liberal Studies is intended as an opportunity to enable students, under faculty-advisor guidance, to design a unique program of study not readily available within the existing curricular structure of the University. Students in this major have the opportunity to experience a broad course of study in the traditional liberal arts and sciences which fosters critical thinking, disciplined writing, and oral communication skills.
Liberal Studies Learning Objectives
- Identify and apply the approaches and methodologies utilized by at least two different academic disciplines.
- Demonstrate strong written communication skills, as follows:
- Appropriately and effectively employ the research methods, terminology, and other conventions of their fields of concentration.
- Use bibliographic and research aids as appropriate to their respective interdisciplinary program.
- Write a substantive, source- based paper which demonstrates critical thinking through a reasoned and articulate argument based on relevant evidence.
- Demonstrate strong oral communication skills for informal discussions as well as formal presentations.