Beginning on Monday, September 15th, 2014, the Latinos in Action club on campus will be holding meetings at 6:30PM in the Multicultural Center (located on the Upper Mezzanine, Whittemore Library). This year, the club hopes to plan a variety of community service opportunities on and off campus, while promoting the Hispanic and Latino culture, as well as the Spanish language
Interested in practicing speaking Spanish or Portuguese?
The Spanish Table/Portuguese Table will take place in the Whittemore Library Café on Wednesdays at 1:30PM. The Spanish Table offers an excellent opportunity to be able to practice Spanish and Portuguese as spoken languages- and even to learn something knew or meet new people! The respective tables will alternate every other week! Hope to see you there!
The World in Flicks: The Spanish Film Club Series
Over the course of the next three months beginning in September, the World Languages Department will be showing five Spanish movies that take place in various parts of the Spanish-speaking world. The movies take place in Cuba, Nicaragua, Peru, Spain and Chile- presenting a variety of different aspects of Latino and Hispanic culture through their stories. For more information or any questions, please contact Professor Juliana Luna Freire at email@example.com.
- The World Languages Department is organizing a trip to Cuzco, Peru, in May of 2014. It is part of the course, Contemporary Trends in Latin America, and the students will be doing 80 hours of volunteer work at a local public school and orphanage.
- April 24: National Honor Society Reception, Archives Room, Whittemore Library, FSU.
- Latinos in Action is traveling to NYC on March 30, 2014, to see a play in Spanish, En el tiempo de las mariposas, based on Julia Alvarez's novel about the Dominican Dictatorship.
- On March 8, 2014, Dr. Stadtler-Chester presented a talk, Classroom Activities, at the First Annual Workshop of the New England Chinese Teachers Association, in Newton. She deomnstrated various interesting games that can enhance language learning in the classroom.
- The Chinese Studies Program participated in the following events in 2013:
- 2013/9/19: Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival Celebration at FSU
- 2013/9/25: The Elementary Chinese classes visited Yin Yu Tang, a Qing dynasty Chinese house, in Peabody Essex Museum (Salem, MA).
- 2013/9/29: Major/Minor Fair (flyer below)
- 2013/10/16: The Chinese classes had a historical tour in China Town (Boston, MA).