Food & Nutrition: Graduate Program Frequently Asked Questions

How many courses can be taken before official admission to the graduate program?

Two graduate courses may be taken before being officially admitted to the program.

Does the program allow for transfer credit?

Two graduate courses may be transferred into the master program.

Does it matter if I took prerequisite courses long ago?

The Anatomy and Physiology I/II and Biochemistry courses must have been successfully completed within the last five years. Students may inquire about challenge exams.

Does the program accept a foreign undergraduate degree?

Foreign undergraduate degrees must be evaluated for equivalency. The Center for Educational Documentation provides credential evaluation.

When do I apply to the master program?

Application deadlines are September 1 for entrance in January and January 1 for entrance in September. Although applications are also reviewed on a rolling admission basis, if deadlines are missed, placement in undergraduate deficiency courses may be delayed.

When do I apply to the Coordinated Program in Dietetics?

Applications are accepted only from matriculated students. Once you have been accepted to the master program, you will be invited to apply to the Coordinated Program in Dietetics. Applications are accepted in the spring for entry the following fall. Applications are due by the last school day in February. A mandatory applicants' meeting is held in February to review the application process.

When are courses offered?

Day division classes can be found in the course offerings at the Office of the Registrar. The Division of Graduate Studies lists schedules when time for the semester is close.

When do I receive the registered dietitian credential?

The Registered Dietitian credential is achieved after completing the Coordinated Program in Dietetics and successfully passing the national registration exam. Any remaining graduate course work can be completed on a part-time basis through evening or on-line classes.

If my undergraduate major was not in nutrition or in a science what should I do?

At the time of application, your undergraduate transcript(s) is evaluated. Your letter of acceptance will list any undergraduate deficiency courses. You may elect to take these courses at Framingham State University as part of your program. The majority of deficiency courses are offered in the day division. Deficiency courses may also be taken at other colleges, however, it is strongly recommended that you obtain prior approval.

What can I do if my work hours conflict with the program?

All supervised practice experiences in the Coordinated Program in Dietetics take place during the day, usually on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Coordinated campus classes are usually scheduled for Monday and Tuesday. Outside employment is difficult during the supervised practice experiences and is not recommended. Initially, students may be able to complete the program part-time while making plans to accommodate the practice experiences. Inquire if you have specific concerns about conflicts with your work schedule.

Some courses are offered through the Division of Graduate and Continuing Education and some through the Day Division. How do I enter the Day Division?

The majority of the deficiency undergraduate courses are offered through the Day Division. It is imperative that you inquire about the proper procedure to register for day courses at the beginning of the semester that precedes the one in which you want to take the day courses. Graduate courses (900 level) are usually offered through the Division of Graduate and Continuing Education as evening or on-line courses. Your advisor will assist you with the registration process.

What is the job market like?

Framingham State University graduates are sought after and the Food and Nutrition major receives frequent requests to post jobs. Graduates are notified by e-mail of all job opportunities.

Are there advisors to help answer the questions I have?

Yes. Contact the Center for Academic Success and Advising at (508) 626-4540 to schedule an in-person or phone appointment. Specify an evening (4:30 – 7:30 PM) when a Food and Nutrition advisor is available.

I have been out of school for several years and am concerned about my computer technology skills. How can I prepare for this transition?

Framingham State University requires wireless laptop computers of incoming undergraduate students and also in some graduate courses. Framingham State University offers a purchase program. The Coordinated Program in Dietetics curriculum is designed to allow students to develop their computer skills, particularly as they progress through the undergraduate food and nutrition courses. You should also inquire about the tutorial modules for Microsoft Office programs which the college provides.

Can I complete the graduate courses within the 2 years of the Coordinated Program in Dietetics?

If there are no undergraduate deficiency courses, the master program and Coordinated Program in Dietetics can be completed in two years. Here is a typical course sequence.

This course sequence assumes that the majority of undergraduate deficiency courses have been completed. There may be other options possible depending on your individual requirements. If you have deficiency courses, contact the graduate advisor to request a plan of study.