Who may apply?
All tenured, tenure-track, and full-time temporary Faculty and Librarians under contract as of September 1 of the current year may apply for funding.
Who considers the application?
A Funding Subcommittee composed of five members of the Steering Committee of CELTSS works with the CELTSS Director to review the applications. The CELTSS Director reports recommendations for funding to the Steering Committee. The Director then sends recommendations for funding to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs for approval.
Where are the application forms?
Applications are available on the CELTSS funding page.
When should I apply for funding?
Applications for funding are accepted three times a year with deadlines announced at the beginning of the academic year, ordinarily in early October, early December, and early March. In any year when substantial budgeted funds remain after Round 3 of funding recommendations is completed, the Funding Subcommittee will add a Round 4 of funding.
Please note that the fiscal year extends from July 1 to June 30.
How are the application forms submitted to CELTSS?
- CELTSS Funding applications can be found on the CELTSS funding page.
- Click on the appropriate funding application and complete the application online. Please respond to all elements to the best of your ability.
- Remember to upload any supporting documents while completing the online application.
- Once you’ve completed the application, submit (you will be given the chance to download a PDF of your application).
- If you received CELTSS funding in AY 22-23, your end-of-year report must be attached to the application for new funding before it will be considered.
- Due to the volume of requests, the committee cannot consider incomplete applications.
- Due to the volume of requests, in rounds 2 and 3 priority will be given to applicants who did not receive funding previously in that academic year.
When are the application deadlines?
There are four application deadlines:
10.05.2023 - Round 1
11.30.2023 - Round 2
11.30.2023 - Course releases for Fall 2024 & Spring 2025
02.29.2024 - Round 3
What are the general funding guidelines?
Must I apply for travel funds prior to completing my travel?
It is best to apply for funds prior to traveling to a conference. However, you may apply for funding after the travel has occurred.
What are the current travel guidelines?
Visit the latest COVID-19 travel orders issued from the state of Massachusetts.
Is there a priority for awarding travel funds?
Proposals for travel funds to be used for participation in a conference or presentation of research/teaching pedagogy are given priority over travel funds designed solely for attendance at a conference. Groups of faculty who are planning to prepare a faculty development workshop as a result of their experience at a conference are also given priority over single applicants.
Due to the volume of requests, in rounds 2 and 3 priority will be given to applicants who did not receive funding previously in that academic year.
Is there funding for release time from courses?
CELTSS recommends funding for two types of course releases, pre-tenure and post-tenure. Faculty cannot receive more than one CELTSS course release within a five year period. Your department chair's approval is required for all course release requests.
- Designed to provide faculty/librarians in their 3rd, 4th, or 5th pre-tenure year with additional time to continue with or complete ongoing research or begin new research projects
- Applications will not be considered if submitted in the term during which the applicant has submitted materials for the tenure review process
- Available for post-tenure faculty to provide time to continue with or complete ongoing research or begin new research projects.