Who may apply?
All tenured, tenure-track, and full-time temporary Faculty and Librarians who were under contract as of September 1 of the current year may apply for funding.
Who considers the application?
A Review Committee comprised of members of the Steering Committee of CELTSS reviews the applications and makes recommendations for funding to the Steering Committee. Once voted on by the Steering Committee, the applications are submitted to the Vice President for Academic Affairs for approval of funding.
Where are the application forms?
Applications are available online on Blackboard in the CELTSS Funding 18-19 site in the My Organizations module.
Applications for funding are accepted three times a year with deadlines announced at the beginning of the academic year.
How are the application forms submitted to CELTSS?
- For AY 2018-2019, applications for course releases are due September 14. Applications for all other funding are due October 5, November 9, and March 1.
- Once signed in to Blackboard, click on ‘Apply for Funding’ in the menu on the left of your screen.
- Click on the folder associated with the correct round of funding you are applying for.
- Scroll down to find the funding category you are applying for. Once you’ve located the correct category, click on the assignment (for example, click on ‘Travel for Professional Development’)
- Download the application (listed in the Assignment Information section). Please save it to your computer with your name in the title.
- Once you’ve completed the application, click on ‘Browse My Computer’ with the Assignment Submission section on Blackboard in the CELTSS Funding 18-19 community.
- If you have more documents to upload, other than your application, attach them in the same assignment submission section as your application. Please have your name listed in the file name of each file you upload.
- If you received CELTSS funding last year, AY 17-18, your end-of-year report must be attached to the application for new funding before it will be considered.
- When finished, click Submit at the bottom right of your screen.
- Due to the volume of requests, the committee cannot consider incomplete applications.
When are the application deadlines?
There are four application deadlines:
09.14.18 - Course releases for Spring 19 & Fall 19
10.05.18 - Round 1
11.09.18 - Round 2
03.01.19 - Round 3
What are the general funding guidelines?
Must I apply for travel funds prior to completing my travel?
It is best to apply for funds prior to traveling to a conference. However, you may apply for funding after the travel has occurred.
Is there a priority for awarding travel funds?
Proposals for travel funds to be used for participation in a conference or presentation of research/teaching pedagogy are given priority over travel funds designed solely for attendance at a conference. Groups of faculty who are planning to prepare a faculty development workshop as a result of their experience at a conference are also given priority over single applicants.
Is there funding for release time from courses?
CELTSS recommends funding for two types of course releases, pre-tenure and post-tenure. Faculty cannot receive more than one CELTSS course release within a five year period. Your department chair's approval is required for all course release requests.
- Designed to provide faculty/librarians in their 3rd or 4th pre-tenure year with additional time to begin/complete ongoing research or begin new research projects
- Applications will not be considered if submitted in the term during which the applicant has submitted materials for the tenure review process
- Available for post-tenure faculty to provide additional resources to begin/complete ongoing research and aid in final completion of research projects