Family & Guest Orientation
2023 Orientation Information for Families and Guests
Family/Guest orientation is an extremely useful first step in learning ways to support your student as they become part of a new community and have new experiences. This is a great opportunity to find out how to help your students build their independence while also learning about what the life of a Framingham Student is like on a daily basis.
At Family/Guest Orientation, family members and supporters of new students are provided vital information that helps them understand how they can be partners with Framingham State in helping their students adjust to life as a Ram. Our hope is that after attending Family/Guest Orientation you will have a greater understanding of various resources that are available to your student, how to guide them without doing the work for them and how you can continue to be involved in the Framingham State community through the Family Network.
As a result of the Orientation experience, family members will have:
- An understanding of the differences between high-school and the college experience
- An understanding your student’s rights and responsibilities of being a Ram
- Helpful tips on building successful strategies in gaining personal independence
- Ideas on how you can help your student feel that they belong at FSU
- An understanding of times during the semester that can be most difficult for students
- Knowledge in becoming prepared to respond to your student who may become stressed and anxious at various points
- An understanding of the resources available for family members and supporters and how the university communicates with family members and supporters.
Family/Guest Orientation is a virtual experience that occurs throughout the months of June, July and August. The series will have six, one-hour sessions that will introduce family members to people and offices that your students will be interacting with as Rams. We will be sharing the resources that are available and talk about how family members can continue to support their students as they navigate their new lives at FSU. This is a great opportunity to get a sense of what your student will be part of and how you, as a family member, can be a meaningful part of that experience.
The dates and topics of Family/Guest Orientation are:
- June 20th- Welcome and the Academic World
- June 28th- The Financial World (Financial aid and paying the bill)
- July 11th- Health and Wellness
- July 17th- Residence Life/Commuting and Safety and Security
- August 2nd- Life Around Campus and Career Planning
- August 9th- Inclusion and Belonging at FSU and Family Engagement
All sessions begin at 7:00 pm EST and will conclude at 8:00 pm. Each one will be recorded and posted in the Family Experience Portal.
We cannot wait to interact with you during Family/Guest Orientation sessions this summer!