Course Add/Drop & Course Withdrawal
The Course Add/Drop period for the Day Division is the first six (6) class meetings days of the semester. Refer to the Academic Calendar for the exact dates.
1. Students may add or drop a semester course (or change sections of a course) without penalty if they do so before the end of the sixth academic day (see semester calendar).
2. Students may add or drop a quarter course (or change sections of a course) without penalty if they do so before the end of the third academic day (see semester calendar).
In the event that students add or drop any course or change a section of a course, they must make the changes via myFramingham during the Course Add/Drop Period at the beginning of the semester.
Students are no longer required to obtain the signature of the instructor in order to add or drop a course. All schedule changes are to be made via myFramingham.
Note: Non-attendance does not constitute being "dropped" from a course. Also, attending a course without having been officially "added" to the course does not constitute enrollment in the course.
1. Students have six (6) academic days (Course Add/Drop period) to withdraw from a course with no academic penalty and no notation on their records. Students who withdraw between the third and tenth week of a regular semester (or for a quarter course, no later than the end of the fifth full week of the quarter) will incur no academic penalty as far as the grade point average is concerned, but will have a notation of "W" on their permanent records. See Academic Calendar for exact dates. No student may withdraw from a course during a regular semester after the tenth week unless there are extraordinary circumstances (such as documented hospitalization or sickness). In such cases, with the concurrence of both the Dean of Students or designee and the course instructor, a late "W" may be authorized.
2. Students are no longer required to obtain the signature of the instructor in order to add or drop a course. All schedule changes are to be made via myFramingham. For First-Year students, please go to the Advising Center in O'Connor Hall for assistance in Withdrawing from an individual course.
3. Students are not officially withdrawn from courses until they have done so through myFramingham. If a student just stops attending a course without officially withdrawing, they will like receive a failing grade as Non-attendance does not constitute a Withdrawal.
Please be aware of non-academic ramifications of Withdrawing (‘W’) from a Course:
- F-1 student visa holders who are no longer completing 12 semester hours (3 course-credits) in the current semester are considered Out-of-Status and therefore will have their F-1 student visa terminated through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The student will be required to withdraw from the university and leave the country immediately in order to minimize illegal days of overstay.
- Ineligibility to participate in a NCAA sport in the current semester if no longer completing 12 semester hours (3 course-credits) as well as possible ineligibility to participate in the following academic year.
- Possible loss of Financial Aid assistance in the current academic year if no longer completing at least half-time status (2 course-credits).
- Possible reduction of benefits in the current term if you are a Veteran receiving Chapter 33 Benefits.
- Possible loss from on-campus housing in the current term if no longer completing 12 semester hours (3 course-credits).